CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Book Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) by Josephine Angelini 
                            My Rating: 5 of 5 stars 
Blurb:
Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.

Review:
I read Starcrossed about two months ago, I may have even yelled at the book when it ended. Thankfully I didn't have too long to wait until Dreamless was released, some Scion fans have been waiting much longer, but regardless of the wait, we were all eagerly anticipating the release.

I, for one was not disappointed, (well it COULD have been longer but that isn't the point). At 11:30 on May 29th my pre-order copy was on my Kindle, and I may have done a happy dance in my chair.  I literally could not put it down; I had to occasionally though, mostly because I didn't want it to end.

After a suspense building prologue, Dreamless begins in the Underworld and only a few days after Starcrossed ends.  I enjoy when sequels start soon after the prior book, there is less "while we were gone" to catch the reader up on, and it makes me feel more immersed in the plot when I haven't missed much of the characters lives.

Anyway, we find Helen literally going through hell.  Every night she descends into the underworld, but with waking worlds pressure of her task and the tangle of her feelings for Lucas, the Underworld she descends to is often unnavigable.

Josephine solves this for us with the introduction of a lovely (and by lovely I mean HOT) new character named Orion.

Orion is one of a few new characters introduced in Dreamless, and defiantly the most intriguing, he brings with him a love triangle and a shadowy past which I found delicious; I still haven't decided if I'm more of a team Lucas or team Orion kind of girl, if I was Helen I don't think I could choose.

Along with the new characters in Dreamless we get a bit more time with some of the original characters, there is more development to both personalities and the relationships of the other characters, both scion and human. 

I have nothing bad to say about this book, the plot thickens, the mythology deepens, and we find out more history of the scions as we get even more attached to Josephine's strong and multi-faceted characters.  New scions and gods run rampant through Dreamless building tangible suspense, I found myself chewing my nails through certain parts, cheering through others and once or twice even yelling at a character, (mostly Lucas).

 Dreamless is a fantastic sequel to Starcrossed, and I know I'll be re-reading them both a few times before the final book comes out.

Though it is labeled as young adult, and the majority of the characters are teens I recommend this series to anyone who enjoys paranormal romance or urban fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment